Thursday, December 13, 2012

Wednesday's Woman - Sandy Powers

Ok...so, I'm a little late on posting this, but I am excited to share with you all. I couldn't wait until next Wednesday.

Do you ever get in a creative funk? I know that I do. When I have a ball of yarn and a hook in hand but I'm not sure what direction to take, I have a few sources of inspiration I like to turn to. One of my crochet heros is Sandy Powers. You may have seen some of Sandy's work on Etsy in her shop, Sandy's Cape Cod Originals. Perhaps if you have picked up a copy of Crochet World magazine or Annie's Attic you may have seen her darling cuddle cocoons. Most recently, you may have seen Baby Crochet at your local bookstore, yep, that's Sandy's work too!



So many ideas, so little time (and yarn). Recently, I chatted with (or emailed) Sandy to pick her brain a little bit.....enjoy!

Q: Tell the world a little bit about Sandy's Cape Cod Originals?
A: I love creating new crochet patterns. I like to think that I design unique and different patterns. My imagination is endless sometimes. And if only my fingers could crochet as fast as my thoughts. I love designing for babies and my first two books that are in print are for babies. My next book coming out next May or June of 2013, is a book of wedding crochet items and I have enjoyed the challenge of designing for adults and children in this book. The publishers have already asked me to do a Baby Crochet book 2 and I am still thinking if I want to do this book. Because I have been designing so much for the books, my Etsy site has been sadly neglected. My dream is to have all of my designs in books and to cut back on the Etsy shop. I have over 400 patterns for sale on Etsy and sometimes it is overwhelming for people to go thru all those pictures. So I’ll be doing less Etsy and more book designing.

Q: What was your motivation in starting Sandy's Cape Cod Originals ? How did it come to life?
A: My motivation to write crochet patterns came from when I was selling actual made items on Etsy, many people would ask me if I sold the pattern for them. Also I went for a mammogram and they found a lump. I had to wait 2 weeks before they did the biopsy and during that time I asked myself, “what would you do if you had one week to live?” and one of the things was to write down some of my crochet patterns.

Q: When you aren't making beautiful creations for the world, what are you doing?
A: I love to play angry birds friends version. Every week they have a new tournament and me and a few of my friends play against each other.

I also like to work on baby hats that I donate to different organizations.

Q: Quote/motto you live by:
A: Be still and know that I am God. I try to not do anything without knowing God is involved in what I am doing.

Q: What is one of your guilty pleasures?
A: I love lobster and when they are on sale, my daughter and I indulge in them for lunch as often as we can.

Q: Lip gloss, cell phone & gum - I can't leave home without it! What's yours?
A: Tissues, cell phone, mints, hair brush, debit cards, medical cards. And most of all yarn and a crochet hook. You never know when you will be delayed somewhere (doc office or stuck in traffic) and can get some crocheting time in.

Q: What/who inspires your designs?
A: Poems, children’s stories, brides, babies, children, tv,

Q: Can't crochet without it...what is your favorite crocheting item/product?
A: A Susan Bates hook and nice yarns

Q: When did you start crocheting?
A: I was 18years old when I started crocheting

Q: What was your first project/item for sale?
A: My first actual made item that I sold on Etsy was a poncho. It sold 5minutes after I listed it. My first crochet pattern that I sold was a Mary Jane bootie.

Q: What has been your favorite thing about being an Etsy shop owner?
A: I love talking to the customers. I love seeing what they do with my crochet patterns. The little changes they make to my patterns are fun to see.

Q: Any words of wisdom you want to share with other mommy crafters?
A: Don’t give up on your dreams. And don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it! You can!

I love seeing where and how other crafters and artsy folks get inspired. I hope you are just as inspired as I am!

Happy Crafting!
~Meredith~

2 comments:

  1. I have had the pleasure of knowing Sandy for a long time. I have sat and watched her start with a simple chain and an hour later she has created a masterpiece. she is an amazing woman and crochet expert. We are so proud of her. She is blessed and shares it with many. Great interview and wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete