Sunday, July 24, 2011

What can I do with $5??

How many times have you been at the store and say, "What's the big deal? It's just $5, I'll buy it." How many times have you been purging your closet and said, "It was just a $5 shirt. I don't need it anyhow", and that shirt ends up in the donation bag. How often do you tell your kids, I'm not replacing that toy. It was just $5. Imagine if you added up all the times that you think, "it's just $5", and think how much that adds up to?

For me, I love going to Starbucks or Cup O Joe. Luckily, I live a about 1/10th of a mile from both places. Every evening, my wonderful fiancee was treating me to a yummy treat from one of these places. A few months ago, I cut out my evening treat, and I saw how much further we could stretch our budget. (Not to say that I've struck gold by cutting out my Starbucks habit, but it is somewhat helpful on the pocketbook.)





I also realized that I should put my treasure where my heart is, and that is in helping others. With 8 little monkeys to tend to, donating time is difficult, but donating treasure can help others as well. Like I said, I'm totally not rich. I found this great opportunity to donate a little bit of what I do have through contacting a family friend.  He started a great mission called The Five Dollar Blessing.

"The Five Dollar Blessing is simply a group of caring people who desire to consolodate our small gifts and words of encouragement to someone in need. Everyone in the group will be made aware of the story of a deserving recipient and will only be asked to send a five dollar blessing ONCE EACH MONTH. Individually, we cannot do much, but collectively we can be a great blessing to someone in need"


Follow this group on Facebook to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment